Creating a high quality audio recording isn’t as hard to achieve as one might think. With so many technological advances and digital tricks up our sleeves, it’s never been easier to capture great audio for personal or professional use.
Using enhanced audio files is the best way to ensure you receive the absolute highest quality transcripts possible. With some attention to a few small details, anyone can master the ability to produce crystal clear audio recordings.
Here are some of our best tips for capturing high quality audio:
1. If you are using a digital recorder, keep your cell phone away from your recording device to prevent feedback.
2. Make sure only one person speaks at a time, and do your best to ensure subjects speak clearly and at a steady pace.
3. Place the microphone where it is likely to pick up all of the people who will talk; keep it as close to the speaker or speakers as possible.
4. Make sure that voice activation is off on digital recorders. This will prevent words being clipped when there are significant pauses.
5. Record in as quiet a place as possible. Choose your interview venue carefully to prevent unwanted background noise.
6. Serve all refreshments before or after your interview takes place and be mindful of ambient noises (shuffling paper, tapping fingers on table, etc.) that can drown out the speaker.
7. Choose the right digital recorder. Ensure that your device of choice has features that meet all of your requirements.
8. When conducting a panel or round table discussion, it is helpful to identify who is speaking. Ask each participant to introduce themselves at the beginning, but also strive to address people by their names as you record.
9. For multi-speaker recordings, it is better to use external microphones rather than built-in microphones.
Now you’re ready to capture some amazing audio!
If you have any additional questions, please contact our Support Staff anytime. Ready to submit your audio for transcription?